I was quite surprised when I first heard about this. The Republican party has historically been the black man’s party, the civil rights party, the party of Lincoln the emancipator, the the pro-woman party, etc. while the Democratic party fought for the very opposite up until the mid-20th century. This, to my surprise, is not propaganda, but merely a fact of history. Here are some stats;
- In 1865, 100% of Republicans in congress voted to end slavery, passing the 13th Amendment, while only 23% of Democrats voted for it.
- In 1868, 94% of Republicans voted for the 14th Amendment, giving full citizenship to freed slaves, while 0% of Democrats voted for it.
- In 1870, 100% of Republicans voted for the 15th Amendment, giving freed slaves the right to vote, while 0% Democrats voted for it.
- Republicans created and pushed for the 19th Amendment, granting women the right to vote, whereas most Democrats opposed the measure for years before allowing a vote on it.
- And the list goes on and on.
What first brought this to my attention was a recent movie/documentary called “Hillary’s America” (Dinesh D’Souza). Following up with research of my own, I was able to confirm this. The genesis of the democratic was entirely racist and sexist, which makes me wonder whether an organization can ever fully disavow its own roots. Historically, I cannot think of a case where this has happened.
An interesting video which goes into some of the history.